Report a Work-related Injury or Illness, Hazardous Material Spill, or Concern

San Francisco State University (SFSU) is committed to providing a safe and healthful environment for the campus community.  Consistent with this commitment is the need for clear communication about the hazards or accidents that occur on campus.


 -If there is a EHS life-threatening emergency, please call 911.

Reporting a Work-Related Injury or Illness:

If you become injured on the job or become ill because of your work, please follow the steps below.  Additional information can be found on the Workers' Compensation tab. 

*EH&S must be notified immediately if any of the following occurs:  worker fatality, inpatient hospitalization, loss of any body part (e.g. fingertip), or possible permanent disfigurement.

  1. Arrange for appropriate medical treatment for the employee. Contact EHS at 415-338-2565 for referral to Kaiser on the Job.     For emergency medical care, dial 911 from a campus phone

  2. Contact the Workers' Compensation Program at 338.2565 to report the injury, and provide updates regarding the employee's work status.

    • Report the injury as soon as possible.

    • Serious injuries and illnesses must be reported to the Department of Occupational Safety and Health (DOSH), also known as Cal/OSHA, within 8-hours, regardless of the day or time the Supervisor was notified.  During business hours hours contact EHS @ (415) 338-2596.  After hours, contact Campus Police to report the injury. 

    • Keep the Workers' Compensation Program informed of all updates to the employee's work status, including: off duty status, releases to light and full duty work.

    • Provide the Workers' Compensation Manager with copies of all reports and notes from the treating physician(s).

4.  Complete the Work Related Report of Injury/Illness and provide the injured worker with the State of California, Department of Industrial Relations, Form DWC-1.  Both forms can be downloaded and printed using the links below.  Fax a copy to the Worker's Compensation Program at fax: 415.338.0521 as soon as possible, but no later than 24 hours from the date the injury is reported to the Supervisor.

If you do not have Adobe Acrobat Reader, you can download it by clicking the Adobe Acrobat Reader icon.  Download Adobe Reader

Reporting a Hazard, Safety Concern, or Issue:

To report a hazardous material spill, exposure to a hazardous substance or any other hazardous event, concern, or issue, please call the Environment, Health & Safety Department (EHS) at 415.338.2565 or send an e-mail to:  In addition, complete the Employee/Student Hazard Report and return the completed form to the Environment, Health & Safety Department.  Reports can be submitted anonymously.

To download and print the Employee/Student Hazard Report, please use the link below:


Environment, Health & Safety

Administration Building

Room 260

(415) 338-2565